Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Today I have a tasty tutorial I found on "Secondhand Sunday"'s blog! If you haven't been there, you really should! She always posts such fun things!


"Every year around Easter my Grandma bakes up a delicious batch of fluffy, pastel colored, Ricotta Cookies. As a child I would sit in eager anticipation of our Easter meal together because I knew that at the end of it at least two cookies would be mine. It probably sounds strange, ricotta in cookies, but these are the most melt in your mouth, send you up to cloud nine, heavenly delights, you'll ever taste. I ate ricotta in cookies before anything else so of course this is the most natural thing in the world to me. As Easter is just around the corner I thought I'd share the recipe with you so you too can share in the magic.
For a really long time I thought my Grandma was only person in the whole world who could think up something so delicious, but in recent years she let slip that she actually found this recipe in a local newspaper, the Akron Beacon Journal, years and years ago. I have to be honest if I still believed my Grandma had invented these suckers, there is no way I'd let the recipe slip. Too sacred. But I don't feel bad so here you go.

Ricotta Cookies:
Cookie Ingredients:
1 LB Butter
2 Cups of Sugar
3 Eggs
1 LB Ricotta Cheese
2 Tsp Vanilla
4 Cups Cake Flour
1 Tsp Baking Soda
1 Tsp Salt

Icing Ingredients:
5 Tbsps of Butter
5 Cups of sifted Powdered Sugar
5 Tbsps of Milk

Cream together butter & sugar. Beat in Eggs. Blend in Ricotta & Vanilla. Stir Flour, Baking Soda & Salt together. Add to Creamed Mixture & beat well. Drop by tsp onto parchment paper lined cookie sheets. Bake @350 for 12 minutes. Reduced to 10 minutes if cookies get brown. Spread icing on cooled cookies.
The icing is one of the most delicious parts, but I warn you let the cookies cool completely before icing. They just fall to pieces when they're warm, in a good way. I also suggest letting the icing set before taking a bite. There is just something so special about set icing on a cookie, and that first bite. It will never let you down.
To make the pastel icing a little more saturated I added a splash of yellow to my pink icing and two drops of green in my green icing. I liked the blue icing with just one drop of blue, it looked like the blue sky out my window that morning. To store you'll want to keep the cookies refrigerated so the icing doesn't melt and the cookies don't become one massive blob. I made these for our BBQ (posted here and here) and by 1am the leftovers were just one giant puddle of gooey deliciousness. Lesson learned: keep them in the fridge. I hope you try this recipe out for yourself. big kiss, bekuh"

No comments:

Post a Comment