Tuesday, April 10, 2012

 

I found this fun tutorial on Creative Little Daisy!

2010_06190007
 I bought these probably five years ago at an antique/consignment store. I think I paid about 12 dollars for a set of four.  Now you can expect to pay at least that for just one. Last night I was cruising around the internet and happened upon a link to a tutorial using mod podge and food coloring to make your own. Cool! In the original tutorial, she experimented with a few different methods and colors to get the look she was after. She had some problems with brush strokes showing up in the finished product.  I think she had the best luck using undiluted mod-podge, painting it on then stippling out the brush strokes with the end of her paint brush.  She used the jars as hanging garden lanterns, with tea light candles. Just lovely! This afternoon I decided to play around with some mod-podge and food coloring myself. I'm thrilled with the results.  First I gathered up a few jars, some mod podge and blue and green food coloring. 2010_06190006
 Just pour some mod podge into one of your jars. I didn't measure, I just poured in about 1/4 cup.
  2010_06190011
 Add a few drops of water to thin down just a bit. So it's the consistency of.... oh I don't know, slightly thinned mod podge. Then squirt in a few drops of food coloring- to your liking. I tried a few different combinations. I think I liked a 3:2 ratio 3 blue drops to two green. But you do what makes you happy. Stir it around to get a uniform distribution of color, then start swirling. Swirl around to cover the inside and pour the remainder into the next jar you want to color. Keep swirling and pouring to your hearts content or until you run out of jars or you need to mix more- which ever comes first. You want to get as much of the mod podge mixture out of the jar as possible so you don't have a big glob of dried gunk in the bottom of your lovely jar.
  2010_06190015
2010_06190016
This is how it will look wet. I'm pretty sure I read somewhere about heat setting paint on glassware by baking it at a low temp, so I set my oven on the lowest setting it would allow, 150 degrees and popped them in.
   2010_06190010
 I took this after they had cooked for about 20 minutes. And for the finished product, drum roll please.....
  2010_06190017
Not too shabby, eh? They look very much like the real deal and since no brush was used, there are no brush strokes.  I don't imagine they are food safe. I wouldn't drink out of them or store food items, but they work great for showing off some pretty flowers.
  2010_06190025
  You'll notice there's no water in the jars. I was impatient to take a picture, but I want to let them stay in the oven for a few hours to really set the mod podge. The label says once dries, it doesn't come off. Edited to add*** OK, I've searched and searched for info about water and mod podge. After reading the FAQ page on the Mod Podge website, I don't  think they will hold up to having water in them.  I wonder how a clear spray sealer might work??? I'll have to give it a try tomorrow. Or you could just use the same method, but use paint made for glass, maybe something like this orthis. Or just don't put water in them and they should hold up just fine.   I used a gloss finish mod podge, just because that's what I happened to have on hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment